Rewiring your entire home might be a large project, but it has many benefits that make it well worth it. Whether you want to sell your home soon or just want to give it a much-needed electrical upgrade, now is a great time to talk with us about why you should plan a house rewiring job.
Some of the best benefits of rewiring your entire home include:
- Improves your home’s safety if old wires were a fire risk.
- Increases your home’s value if or when you sell it.
- Can improve your home’s overall energy efficiency, lowering electric bills.
- Reduces the risk of power outages caused by an old, unstable electrical system.
Many people want to rewire their homes as part of a home expansion project, too. If you want to add a new room or wing to your home in Ocala, then it makes sense to rewire your entire home at the same time. Otherwise, the electrical system in the new or converted room could be incompatible with the rest.
Contact our team today to learn more about home rewiring and its benefits.
Five signs that your home should be rewired soon include:
- Old system: If your home’s electrical system has not been rewired in 20 or more years, then it is highly likely that it will need to be rewired soon. Even the best electrical systems and wires start to wear out with time. If it has been 30 or more years since a rewiring, then it is practically guaranteed that there are serious issues that need to be addressed.
- Distorted outlets: Problems with an electrical system can result in unsafe heat buildups near switches and outlets. With time, the heat can start to discolor or change the shape of an outlet, even subtly. If you have spotted one or more distorted outlets, then you should start a rewiring project as soon as possible.
- Burnt plastic smell: Overheating wires can start to burn, even if the heat is not enough to cause a fire. Typically, the heat damage to the wires will cause an odor of burnt plastic.
- Flickering lights: Sometimes, lights flicker because the bulb is loose, or the switch needs to be replaced. At other times, though, lights flicker often due to faulty wiring throughout the house. If lights in multiple rooms of your home flicker, then a rewiring job could be in order.
Circuit breaker problems: A circuit breaker that trips frequently might be an indication that the entire home’s wiring is going out.
The main risk of not rewiring your home when it is required is that it could put your home at a much higher risk of an electrical fire. Approximately one-in-ten house fires across the country originate due to electrical system defects, most of which can be avoided with frequent maintenance and a whole-home rewiring as needed. Again, if it has been 30 or more years since the last time your home’s wiring was installed or upgraded, then the risk of an electrical fire could be significant.
When rewiring your home, our electricians will need to strip out the old wiring, replace it with new wiring, and install a new circuit breaker panel. Depending on the size of your home, this process could take a few days or an entire week. However, you are not required to temporarily move out of your home when we are working. Certain electrical systems can be partitioned and upgraded in segments, allowing you to only “move out” of the rooms we are currently working in.
Overall, a whole-home rewiring project can be a busy task. But when you leave our team up to it, you can rest easy knowing that it is being done as safely and quickly as possible.
For Ocala home electrical rewiring services done right the first time, come to Patrick's Heating & Air Conditioning. We keep a flexible service schedule and accept appointments seven days a week for your convenience. With our electricians working in your home, the rewiring job will be done before you know it, and your home will be even better because of it.