What Is Air Balancing In HVAC?
Air duct balancing is a data-driven process that improves airflow to all areas of your home. With information from an HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) air balance test, technicians and property owners can design a custom plan to increase air circulation in the HVAC system, enhancing climate control and comfort throughout the home.
The HVAC Air Balance Test
Forced air systems are designed to move air efficiently to every room. However, changes in pressure, seals, or sensors in the system can negatively impact air distribution, causing hot or cold spots or dramatic temperature differences between different levels of your home.
Central Florida homeowners can benefit from air balancing testing if noticing any of the following:
- Consistently hot or cold spots in certain rooms
- Increasing energy costs
- Weak airflow from vents or registers in certain rooms
- A temperature difference of more than two degrees between the lower and upper floor
Professional Air Balancing Step-by-Step
When you contact Patrick’s Heating & Air Conditioning, your technician will walk you through the steps of the air balancing procedure and ask if you have questions along the way.
Here’s what to expect from the process:
- Specialized hood installation designed to measure the airflow over each vent.
- Sensor placement on the HVAC system supply and return side to record the air pressure. The closer those readouts are, the more balanced your system is.
- Measurement of humidity and temperature in each room to identify areas requiring ductwork and insulation improvements.
What Do the Results Mean?
The air balancing test will determine the causes of poor airflow and identify the specific areas of your HVAC system to address.
In most cases, the issues will fall into one of these categories:
- Control systems – Faulty or inaccurate thermostats can contribute to poor airflow. Problems with the thermostat sensor or even the placement of the thermostat can cause short cycling that results in short HVAC run times and hot or cold spots. Sometimes, the blower fan speed is set too slow or too fast. Your technician can make adjustments to improve efficiency.
- Leaky Ductwork – Leaks or cracks in the ductwork can reduce air pressure in the duct and prohibit air volume from reaching the air vents of specific rooms. Your HVAC technician will be able to identify these issues and seal cracks or misaligned duct joints. If sections of ductwork are damaged, they may require replacement. Changes in air temperature in areas of the home could also be a sign that ductwork sections need to be insulated to maintain the temperature of the air moving through the duct.
- Inadequate Ductwork – Luckily, the most expensive fix is also the least common. Some homes may have been built with the wrong-sized ductwork, impacting airflow and causing your HVAC system to work harder than necessary.
What Are the Benefits of Air Balancing?
Investing in professional air duct balancing offers both immediate and long-term benefits any homeowner will appreciate:
- Comfort everywhere – Enjoy consistent temperatures in every room and on every floor of your home. By optimizing airflow for even distribution, homeowners will immediately notice a reduction in hot or cold spots.
- Energy efficiency –Get more out of your heating or cooling system. The HVAC system will run more efficiently, which means it will run less often, saving money and preventing costly wear and tear.
- Fewer HVAC problems – Combined with regular professional HVAC maintenance, air balancing reduces the risk of system failure and emergency repairs. It can also lengthen the lifespan of your HVAC system by ensuring it works more efficiently.
Professional Air Balancing Company Near Me
Find qualified Air balancing in Ocala, Florida, at Patrick’s Heating & Air Conditioning. You can count on our experienced, friendly technicians to conduct testing with a focus on details and solutions. Make air balancing a part of your home’s energy efficiency and cost-savings plan. Schedule service online or call 352-329-3740[A7] to get started.